Monday, December 18, 2017

Wild Dinosaur Thing: Kwik Sew 3099


So, approximately 5 months ago, I wrote a post about Halloweens of Yore. Then I teased a forthcoming post on Halloween 2017, as if it were right around the corner.

Right.

Around.

The.

.

.

...Corner! We are rounding the corner, hold onto your hats!

Real quick, I got a serger. Remember? I wanted one of those.



I ordered it on a Thursday night and Amazon told me it would be here by Friday night at 8 pm.

I didn't believe it, but I tell you what. Amazon pulled through. They made it with 30 minutes to spare.

Lucky for me, I had a project waiting in the wings to try out my new serger. I had no idea how to use it, so I thought what better project to tackle than my daughter's Halloween costume that had an actual real deadline?


I ordered Kwik Sew 3099 from Amazon too, as all good things come from Amazon.com. You might ask, but can you get fabric from Amazon.com? Yes, because they acquired Fabric.com.


I assume this pattern arrived in a time machine from 1996. 

The plan was to use up some of my stash of fleece from previous aborted projects, and I just so happened to have a bright orange and hot pink that I thought would make a historically accurate dinosaur.


The cutting went quickly. I used my rotary cutter on everything as I do now.

Next, I had to figure out how my serger worked, because the plan was to use the serger for pretty much everything.


Hrm. Yes. I see.


Now this is bad, right?

Next you're going to tell me the needles are supposed to stay in one piece for the duration of the sewing?

I had hoped I'd never have to learn how to thread my serger, but alas that dream fled as soon as my first needle broke. I watched a YouTube video of a guy showing how to thread a serger, and then got plenty of practice as I had to re-thread the machine four times in a row after the following series of events took place:
  1. Left needle broke.
  2. One of the threads broke.
  3. Right needle broke.
  4. One of the threads ran out.
Beginner's luck.

Seriously though, it was good practice and now I'm a pro. Once I got into my sewing groove, this came together quickly. I think I cut it out and sewed it up in about 3 hours one evening after bedtime.



Ta Da:



The next test was to see if it actually fit. We eased Babu into the new costume by trying on last year's costume. Still fits, barely!


Then we moved onto the main event. Would it fit? Would she like it? 


My worries were put to rest as my child frolicked about roaring and stomping around like the generic dinosaur that she was.



That's all for now, but plenty more sewing stories in the hopper. I've actually been sewing up a storm, which is why the blogging fell by the wayside a bit. But now that the winter months are upon us and I don't even have to pretend to want to be outside there will be more just.

around..

the....

--

PS: Here are some pics showing the costume in action from Halloween festivities. 

At my work Halloween party.
Enjoying a pretzel before going Trunk or Treating.

On actual Halloween ready to take on the neighborhood. Her eyes are glazed thinking about all the candy!


3 comments:

  1. I am so excited about your serger and the outfit you made is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gummiband Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info.

    ReplyDelete

Newest Post

Going to the Chapel: Kim Dress + Pleated Skirt