Sunday, June 4, 2017

In Memory of the Projects That Didn't Make It: #1


Not all projects make it to the end. Some are like that bitchy cheerleader who hangs out with the morally upright heroine and who you know is going to be the first to get dragged into the swamp because her skirt is too short.

But today I'm not here to talk about misogyny. Today, I want to remember the projects that could have been great but weren't because of my bad decisions.

Project #1: A Scuba Not

Scuba knit is a pretty cool fabric because it's pretty thick and forgiving, so when I found some at JoAnn I was like, yes please, get in my cart.

I had this Amazing Fit pattern by Simplicity (1653) and the back said to use a 2-way stretch knit. Well scuba knit fits the bill right?

Here it is, one arm and the bottom hem still not finished.


It doesn't look that bad in pics because the pattern is pretty distracting, but let's just say scuba knit doesn't quite drape the way I think you'd want this wrap dress to drape. In fact scuba knit basically doesn't drape -- it doesn't like to be folded or have multiple layers in one area. 



In addition to the drape thing, the Amazing Fit patterns are meant to be fit as you sew and because of that usually start out way too big. As I adjusted, I finally got the wrap part to fit ok, but the layer underneath bunched up because it was wider than the top panel. 

Fun.

When I put the dress on I felt like the marshmallow man. I think each layer added like an inch to my width. 

Artist rendition of me in the dress.

The sleeve style is also terrible in this fabric. 

I abandoned this project because it was clear that fabric was terrible for this style. I kept it around in case I can repurpose the scuba knit for another project, but who knows if that will happen.

What have I learned?

Don't show up to a lightweight knit fight with a scuba knit.

Scuba knit is not suitable for drapey, layered styles. It's probably best for sheath dresses, and simple designs that follow the contours of the body. The only problem with that is that the contours of my body have more lady lumps than a Black Eyed Peas song, so maybe scuba knit just isn't for me.

As for the pattern, I don't know if it's worth giving another try. In theory the wrap is there to distract from squishy areas, but the placement may just be bad for my body.

Plenty more abandoned projects to come. Stay Puft!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newest Post

Going to the Chapel: Kim Dress + Pleated Skirt